New Geographic Statistics

The frontpage news bits

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bobzilla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 am

It took 3 months of crunching, but we now have Geographic Statistics up. See what countries / states / postal codes have the most networks or the best crypto habits! Thanks to Security B-Sides at DNA Lounge for providing the ambiance to finish this up today.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby ccie4526 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Love the new geographic stats!

Here's a challenge for you now... break down the stats so you can see what users found how many in each of the respective geographic areas. ;-)

Postby i_do_dew » Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Yes, I've always wondered where and how you find 36000 APs every month. Though I just had a scary thought...war flying -- still that is a lot of JetA or whatever the smaller planes run.

Postby ccie4526 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 pm

[quote="i_do_dew"]Yes, I've always wondered where and how you find 36000 APs every month. Though I just had a scary thought...war flying -- still that is a lot of JetA or whatever the smaller planes run.[/quote]

I was just digging back on one of the other threads here, as I thought I had posted a picture of my rig at one point.... but now I'm not so sure. For reference, here's one of my posts from 10 years ago: viewtopic.php?p=444#p439

The verbal description is fairly simple. On/in my pickup truck, in addition to all of the amateur radio gear, I have:

Comet GP-24 Omni Antenna (+12dBi gain)
California Amplifier +25db MMDS Receive Preamplifier
Linksys WRT54G running OpenWRT and Kismet Drone

About the only thing that has changed from 10 years ago was switching from an Orinoco Gold card to the WRT54G, as the combination of a lack of PCMCIA slots in laptops and the orinoco drivers for the later versions of linux fairly quashed having the laptop as the actual sniffer. Now, with the RF side handled in the WRT, I run kismet client under Cygwin.
Thanks again for the ability to drill down to geographical areas for AP information.

However, is it possible to de-duplicate/format data correctly for Canada?

For example, when clicking on information for Canada, stats for "Québec", "Quu00e9bec" and "QC" should be under the same heading, "Québec". (Let's just avoid the debate of French vs. English spelling, and use the heading with the most data. Best to avoid making wifi collection a separatist/nationalist issue, lol.).

This may be as simple as search-and-replace, but with the number of entries in the WIGLE database, I wouldn't be surprised if this simple request was complex.

Also, postal codes for Canada should be letter-number-letter-space-number-letter-number in an all-caps format (real-world example: H0H 0H0 for sending mail to Santa Claus). If there are numerical entries, they are errors (or close to the border with Canada, hence the inclusion in the Canadian dataset).

All around, great work. Now we polish the data for a nice finish!

sssscanner

Postby timpane » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 am

Though I just had a scary thought...war flying -- still that is a lot of JetA or whatever the smaller planes run.

Postby dfue » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi there,

The geographic stats data is very useful indeed. When I looked at the UK stats, though, I found that the Postal Stats table contains only 2.1 out of the total of 5.3 million access points that are shown in the other tables. Is there a way to retrieve the missing data?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Postby urizen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 pm

I've never tried war flying, but I did do some war train riding recently... I'm eager to see what this produced in the way of new APs! :)

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”