How to get foreign data?

Wardrivers: find others in your area

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby virtuPIC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 am

The subject tells it. I'm no American. I'm a beginner.

There are lots of instructions how to submit data. But when I travel to a location I've never been before I want to use data produced by others. I would like to test the system with already existing data without travelling to the US. How can I get sets of AP coordinates for Germany.

virtuPIC

P.S.: Preferably Karlsruhe (where I stay during working days) or Essn / Wuppertal / Düsseldorf ( where I stay on weekends).
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
[url]http://www.airspace-v.com[/url]

Postby whitedice » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:02 am

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you want to do?

There are no instructions on how to use any of the data because you are not suppose to "use" it. Using other peoples data kind of defeats the purpose of what this website is doing. The only reason I can think of that you would "use data produced by others," is if you wanted a list of APs collected by others to try and connect to them? If this is what you want, then you are mistaken on what this website is about. This website is not a listing service for APs to connect to at various places. Doing so is unwise, unsafe (especially with regards to doing business), unethical, and in some places in the world... illegal.

If you are talking about being unsure on how to collect data in Germany. I would guess it would be the same as America using collecting software (such as NetStumbler) and GPS to record the coordinates? That is the best way to get sets of AP coordinates for Germany. But don't connect to them, unless you have permission.

Postby virtuPIC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Sorry for the confusion! Two mistakes on my side. I mixed up the statement of not publishing international data on www.placelab.org with www.wigle.net. Second, I didn't follow the link '...Find a wireless network by [searching]...' - where I just found information about APs in the vicinity of my two places of residence.

However, at the first place (N51.31, E7.1) I couldn't find my own WLAN router although it is running permanently. At the second place (N49.1, E8.4) data is almost three years old. Seems that I have to become a wardriver, too...

Again, sorry to confuse you!

virtuPIC
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
[url]http://www.airspace-v.com[/url]

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”