Chicago, IL, USA

Wardrivers: find others in your area

21 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby bobzilla » Wed May 12, 2004 9:12 pm

I'll start off this forum. I'm bobzilla, a co-founder and developer for WiGLE.net, and I'm in Chicago.

Postby uhtu » Wed May 12, 2004 11:25 pm

hi, my name is uhtu and i'm a WiGLE.net software minon here in our WiGLE development labs in chicago.

Postby arkasha » Thu May 13, 2004 5:02 am

Arkasha, rounding out the wigle compliment, and the chicago compliment.
driving in the windy city IS my bag. and social wardriving's a lot of fun.

Postby mycroft » Fri May 14, 2004 1:37 am

hrm. I guess I'm a hanger-on since I haven't been out driving with you guys in a very long time, but driving Hyde Park was my idea, so I'll post :) Chicago all the way.

Postby Tech » Tue May 18, 2004 7:01 pm

I'm near chicago. In the suburbs. Whoever mapped rt. 176, thanks! Since there are a few hotspots near me I'm going to get into wardriving and mapping hopefully. Just need to sell this desktop and get a laptop. :)

Postby arkasha » Tue May 18, 2004 11:02 pm

you'll note from the HUGE size of the download that we've mapped the living heck outta this place. wish we could get this kind of coverage all over.

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 1:07 am

Why doesn't the lake county map pack have a map? All I see are the AP's and a grid. The AP's are all on the left.

[ed: this has been dealt with here: http://wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1037#1037 ]

Postby Tech » Wed May 19, 2004 2:54 am

Oops, that was me who just posted as a Guest. Guess I forgot to log in.

Postby Superman3 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm

Hey, I'm here in the windy city for the week. Inlaws are in Huntley and Algonquin so I'm trying to find a faster internet connection. Are there any free wireless ap's in one of these two cities?

Superman3

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:08 am

Hello, all!

I have been wardriving for a while now (6 months or so) and I just found this site and began uploading my data (Kismet XML files, I guess those are the most complete compared to the CSV, GPS, etc files - right?). I sent an 8MB dump from the last few weeks, which included a road trip out to Kansas City, and then a few minutes ago I jammed up a 30MB file containing everything else (mostly, back and forth to my old work - Barrington to Vernon Hills, but also some other odd routes to friends and familys houses and other events).

Now I just need to find a job where I can wardrive while working (like, onsite technician type deal, where I get to drive all over for work). I used to hate driving around here, but wardriving makes it so much more fun (and less "roadrageous"). I almost hope I get stuck in traffic, so as to collect more/better info about particular areas. :)

Postby Spudz76 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:10 am

Oops... I logged in but somehow it still posted the above as "Guest". Oh well, the above was me!

Postby bobzilla » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:06 pm

Yes, I tend to naturally take strange paths to get to places, now it's a feature to improve my stats. :)

Postby kai » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:39 pm

'Ello, ello. I've been wardriving for about a month now, living in Joliet, IL (about an hour south of chicago down 55). Is anything still crackin' in IL? Any meetups? I'd love to meet with some other drivers around the area.

Postby Spudz76 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:38 am

There never was a meeting at all as far as I know. There was interest in one but it never happened. So we all quietly do our own thing and upload our info to the database, and that's about it. :(

Postby kai » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:13 pm

How about everyone that posts here join the Chicago Wardrivers in the Stats Group so we can get up there on the boards?

You'll notice my miniscule amount of networks discovered so far, but like I said, I've only been wardriving for about a month. I might be driving to philadelphia in January, and if I do, I'll surely be wardriving the whole way so watch out for some new stuff up there.

21 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”