Network KML/KMZ

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Ti!63KaR » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:23 am

Does anyone, WiGLE included, have a network linked kmz for everything that's in the WiGLE database? I know it would bog down my computer but it would be nice to see it in Google Earth.

I've created my own for the stuff I'm collecting in SE Tennessee.

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Unfortunately, KML on Google Earth bogs down even the heftiest machines far below even the tiniest fraction the WiGLE database. My Alyx-capable VR gaming PC can't even handle a 10 mile run through a large city as logged by a 5-year-old Android phone when loaded in Google Earth.

Your own uploaded KML is always available through the WiGLE Android client and on your uploads page. I'd urge you not to try and merge them, since when you can turn individual runs on and off, you have a way to look at them without crushing your machine.

The client also offers CSV/SQLite export, which may be suitable to feed more high-end visualization engines!

Cheers, and thanks for your interest.

-ark

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 pm

PS> if you're a hard-core visualization programmer, there's an Unreal Engine / Open Street Map integration; we've always wanted to do AR/VR visualization of networks, but it's going to be a huge task (and we have day jobs)

Postby Ti!63KaR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm

We used KML/KMZ files in the Navy a lot but I'm finding that my personal computer does slow to a crawl when uploading my wigle kml files to GE.

I do like the visual aspect of it though..

Anyway, just thought I'd ask....

Postby arkasha » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:24 am

it's possible that there are smarter ways to formulate KML than what we're doing; it seems pretty straight-forward, but input is very welcome!

cheers,

-ark and the WiGLE team

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”