Text to Speech prompt at launch (Android 8)

Found a problem? Tell us about it! Topics-per-issue, please search before posting.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935V) running Android 8.0.0 and Wigle WiFi v2.59. Also a Samsung Galaxy Core running Android 5.1.1 and WWFi 2.59.

On both devices when I launch the app, I get prompted twice to "Complete action using" and a choice of the Google or Samsung text-to-speech engine. This seems to be a new thing in 2.59.

Screen shots attached showing my speech settings ("No text-to-speech engine").

Bug? Old OS issue?
Attachments
IMG_6855.jpg
IMG_6855.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 21860 times
IMG_6854.jpg
IMG_6854.jpg (221.13 KiB) Viewed 21860 times
TTS support was updated in 2.59; our previous solution was being end-of-life-d. Are you a regular user of the TTS feature or do you usually turn that off? Regardless, it should be safe to choose the Google TTS, leave it 'off' at your preference.
(this also fixed a long-running issue with non-english TTS, as reported https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi- ... issues/438 )
I never use TTS, so this was new to me. Do I need to have all the speech settings off to not be prompted, or just accept the prompt to have it not appear again?
this is a good question - since most devices don't have two options for their TTS core, we don't know for sure!

either option should work, but we haven't tested this case. Let us know how it goes?

Cheers,

-ark and the WiGLE team
Perhaps as expected, choosing "Just Once" when selecting either TTS engine causes me to see a prompt the next time I launch WWFi.

Selecting either engine and tapping "Always" ensures the prompt does not appear the next time I launch WWFi.

I also noticed that once an engine is chosen, the Speech Settings screen top pull-down menu now shows "Time between audio speech" and lets me select an interval or "Off", instead of showing "No text-to-speech engine". So that config is working correctly too.

Looks all good from these two legacy devices and OSes.
thanks! we'll be linking this thread when people ask in the future! :wink:

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Bugs”