Best Android for WigleWifi

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby arkasha » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:09 pm

I know that the cheapest-possible stumbling device crowd uses old Samsung S3/S4s running Lineage OS and love how fast the radios tune, but that's a bit of work to get them running a recent-enough version of Android.

I do a lot of my stumbling on an older Moto G5 which should be pretty darn cheap at this point, lasts a half-marathon stumbling and remains above 50% charge.

Postby justinolan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 am

I think you would want something with a very good antenna built in to receive as much signal as possible. That would mean an "tablet" sized android device. As an added benefit the tablets usually have a much much bigger battery then something smaller like an "phone" size. You should be able get a used older one for somewhat cheap. I am using a LG-V495 and it has amazing signal range and battery life. It's 5 years old but works great (speed-wize) for wardriving.

Postby d2k2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:37 pm

the S7 (android 8 ) is a better option than the S4, about 2x the bluetooth, and 10x the celltowers: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2498#p10290
(but no match to a rpi...)

i would also like to know a better phone, but it has to run then android 10, as with 9 you will get nothing. The short time my huawei p10 was android 8 it outperformed the S7, but then on android 9 it got useless.

Postby arkasha » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Seeing fantastic results with the Pixel 5 / unthrottled. I don't have older/cheaper pixels to compare against, but perhaps older Pixel models will be similarly good?

Postby Mad_Max » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:52 pm

I've tried 3 devices back to back:

Motorola moto G 2013, WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
Lenovo P2 2016, WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP, LE
Samsung Tab 8 2019, WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.2, A2DP, LE

The Moto G is quite poor compared to the P2 in terms of Wifi, but seemed to pick up about 25% Bluetooth that the P2 couldn't.
Only recently taken the Tab 8 out and even in areas that I walk daily it seems to pick up a decent wifi count. On a recent drive the P2 found about 400 new wifi, uploaded it first then when the Tab 8 was uploaded it had another 528 extra that the P2 had missed. The specs seem similar so the bigger antenna might be the reason

obviously now in 2021 there is probably a better device out now, so would be open to picking my new phone based on war driving capabilities

Postby Use#79 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:08 am

It's been many years since I played around with war-driving. I've been using iPhones for a long while now and I don't think they offer anything at all to go explore the RF spectrum around us. So i grabbed a $30 Alcatel Something-Or-Other from one of the local big box retailers and have been having a hoot ever since.

I don't really have much to compare it to since the last time I did this I used a laptop and kismet.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”