Auto upload

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby dougstech » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:35 am

I know that this has been mentioned many times before and I know that an implementation for Tasker was created, but I have never been able to get it to work. I’ve only ever been able to get Tasker to launch the app whenever power is detected on the USB port. I don’t understand why the app can’t negatively have an automatic upload feature where the user can choose to automatically upload the file every X minutes.

Postby arkasha » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 am

Thanks for your interest!

The short version is because there are too many combinations of possible factors that go into automatic upload.
There are folks who have data caps or roaming fees to contend with, who only want to upload over trusted networks, or who don't want to disclose their location (delayed upload, on-VPN-success, on bandwidth availability, or geofencing). We collected feedback on various options and preferences, and discovered that it was a complex space with a lot of different and even conflicting feature requests. We're a small group of hobbyists, and the client is open source - if you'd like to submit a pull request on github, it would be welcome!

In our research a purely "time-based" upload frequency was only requested by a small minority of users - so in the meantime, we've provided the option for scripting, and are happy to help you get going, if you're having trouble getting it to work.

Cheers,

-Ark

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”