Questions from a newbie

The gear needed for wardriving

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby arkasha » Mon May 31, 2004 11:25 pm

SSL is short for "secure sockets layer." basically, it's a (relatively) simple method for ensuring that the information you send over the net isn't read by parties other than the server with which you intended to communicate (in this case WiGLE). This is particularly important when you're transmitting information which uniquely identifies you or your assets to other people (consider passwords, bank account numbers, etc). In WiGLE's case, it's used by JiGLE and DiGLE to make sure that your password isn't easily accessible. Also important to remember: it's not an insane, unbreakable cypher; it's just reasonably good - that's probably all you need or want when asking WiGLE for data.

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:43 am

SSL is "Secure Socket Layer". It encrypts data going from your computer to, in this case, the WiGLE webserver (it's the same thing used by your web browser when the address starts with 'https' and the little lock icon is locked). This means that your password that you enter when you log in is not readable by someone listening in on the conversation. It also provides authentication using certificates, so you know that you are actually talking to the WiGLE.net server and not some evil syndicates fake server.

There are subtleties to this, like having correct certificates (ours are self-signed which one could argue makes them less trustable, and we deliver them with the client, which if the our web server were hax0rd then an evil binary could be installed), but that's the basic gist. Some punk at your ISP tcpdump'ing your traffic can't read your password.

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:44 am

My answer is cooler than arkashas. totally. Someday i'll learn to read the next page.

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:40 pm

it's ok. you focused on exploits, i focused on broader applicational description. we're still unique. creating WiGLE hasn't given us hivemind.

Postby uhtu » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:50 pm

i knew you were going to say that.

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”