Kismet drone on wireless router? (e.g. Linksys WRT54GL)

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
I've just dusted off two Linksys WRT54GL, and noticed some older posts enthusiastic about their radio capabilities.
However, for setting up Kismet on this hardware, I only found decade-old instructions and Kismet MIPS binaries from 2004...
Has anybody recently set up a WRT54GL as a Kismet drone and could give me some pointers? Thanks.
Last edited by qascnjzd on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby qascnjzd » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:44 pm

Update: I gave up on trying to get 20y old hardware running with 10y old software...

However, I'm still looking for Kismet drone options with a price tag in the lower two digits, i.e. comparable to a Raspberry Pi plus wifi adapter.
And while the Pi would definititely be an option, I'd naively assume that hardware specialized in radio communication might be more sensitive, e.g. a wireless router.

Can anybody shed some light on whether this assumption is naive or actually true, possibly even with some hardware recommendation? Thanks.
I don't think a wireless router is better or more capable than some wifi card.
Some wifi card have a very long range. with the good driver they do a perfect job.

Yes a wireless router could do the job of a rpi +wifi card to host a kismet drone , but and old 4M/32M (ram/flash) is limited hardware.
May be you could try to cross-compile a kismet drone for your WRT54GL. given you can run it on it.

I was pointed to this list https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/bl ... rt_List.md
Though, I found that most on this list are hard to find, and only one of them is available on my local amazon store.

So, yes why not use a second hand wireless router (or accesss point) with openwrt; but may better than the 4/32, despised by openwrt
I've just dusted off two Linksys WRT54GL, and noticed some older posts enthusiastic about their radio capabilities.
However, for setting up Kismet on this hardware, I only found decade-old instructions and Kismet MIPS binaries from 2004...mini crossword
Has anybody recently set up a WRT54GL as a Kismet drone and could give me some pointers? Thanks.
An outdated wireless router with only 4M/32M (ram/flash) might host a kismet drone instead of a Raspberry Pi + wifi card.
If you can get Kismet running on your WRT54GL, you could theoretically try cross-compiling a drone for it.
I built one 10+ years ago. Recently found that digital signage PCs are more suitable. I've rescued three Giada VM23 boxes from the e-waste. Add a cheap USB GPS and you are good as bluetooth and wifi is built in. Three additional USB ports for more wifi adapters. Runs of 12v with a barrel plug. Easy to make a cigarette power plug adapter. I see many go for about $20.

Many was sold with only 1 year Windows 10 IOT, so quickly EOL. Kali runs well on it, even with three radios, two gps and graphical user interface.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”