Search Failure Errors

Report issues with the site here. Please include browser and page information in your reports.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby amshell » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 pm

I am having issues with searching on this site. It seems to only want to work once in a day. I will login and search for the first time in a day, and it works. But then if I try to do any subsequent searches, I keep getting one of two errors: 'search failed: error' or 'search failed: undefined'. I log out and log back in, and that doesn't work. I seem to have to wait until another day to even attempt another search. Sometimes the site has even given me an error when I try to log out of my account. It seems like the site just continues to degrade the more I attempt to use it in one sitting. Anyone else having this issue?

Postby arkasha » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:27 pm

new users start with lower query limits - it's part of mass-harvesting prevention. as we get more signals that you're human, your limits increase.
Your account shows a large number of attempted searches in the last 24 hours. If you haven't shared your credentials with anyone, it's possible that refreshes, connection problems, or even browser plugins are duplicating your queries without your knowledge.

Postby amshell » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello--thank you for your reply. The large number of queries was definitely me :D. I'm taking an OSINT course, so I was playing around with the search. Most of the time the search failed; it only worked once or twice each day, but I now understand why that is since you explained the effort to avoid mass harvesting. Makes sense now! Thanks again for clarifying.

Postby BergKatse » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:24 pm

new users start with lower query limits - it's part of mass-harvesting prevention. as we get more signals that you're human, your limits increase.
I had the same problem - I just created a new account, did maybe 10 or 15 searches on SSIDs I saw on my block, and then started getting 'error: undefined'. I understand you want to prevent scraping, but why not change your error message to something meaningful like 'too many requests' or 'search limit reached'.

'Undefined' just looks like a database bug, so I did another 10 searches while I was trying to figure out the cause, thinking I had pasted a blank space into a field or something. Because of your error message, I put more load on your server without intention to do so. :roll:

Postby arkasha » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:01 am

The display messages should be a little clearer now - thanks for the feedback!

-ark

Postby BergKatse » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 pm

Thanks for your timely response, though I haven't tried to use up today's search quota yet!

Not sure if it is off-topic (because it is not exactly a 'failure'), but currently the date filter is a long string of digits going back to the first entry (20010925154845 or similar). As a coder I could guess how this worked easily enough, but it might be unintuitive for non-technical people. The range slider in the map screen is much more intuitive. Ability to sort the result columns by date first/last seen would also improve usability and reduce repeat searches.

Postby arkasha » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi!

(So, in general, it's worth starting a new thread for new issues - makes it easier for people to search.)

last-update isn't actually a great search field, we'll probably remove that when we improve the UI - as a programmer you can check out the API at https://api.wigle.net/swagger#/Network% ... s/search_2 for the full list.

From a UI perspective, we tried to keep the dates easily input-able from the keyboard. Any favorite JS libraries for adding UI without making people click through a miserable calendar?

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Site Bugs”