[SOLVED] The app keeps crashing when Bluetooth scanning is enabled (V2.71)

Issues with the Android network detection software. Please include Software version, Android version, and device when reporting

6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I started to notice the issue yesterday morning when I was in a major train station with a lot of people inside. I enabled the Bluetooth scanning in the app settings and it started to find many devices... About 20/30 seconds later, the app stopped responding all of a sudden.
The unique way to start it again was to force it to quit via the Android settings panel.

I initially thought my smartphone struggled to manage all the detections due to the high amount of people all around... so I gave it another try after rebooting my smartphone and the same happened. :?

Later in the day, I made another attempt in a local supermarket and the result was the same, despite the pretty low amount of BT devices around me.

This issue started to occur after updating the app from V2.67 to V2.71. In the past, I never had any issues with the BT scanning.
Fortunately, this issue doesn't affect the WiFi scan at all.

My smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy A50 (Android 11). Let me know if you need more technical details.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Last edited by CyberDriver on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh heck!
Thanks for the bug report. Any chance you can get us a crash report, or a debug log when it's not responding to help diagnose?
I made a debug log this afternoon after attempting a new BT scan.
There are multiple lines mentioning: "Tried to update BTLE batch in improbably short time: 207 (54 results)".
There's also the following one just before: "bluetoothReceiver not registered: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Receiver not registered: null"

I don't see anything else special... Could this give an idea of the issue source?
For the first message, the 207 and 54 values vary depending on the line.

By the way, I forgot to precise that when the app freezes, there's no crash popup such as "Wigle has stopped" or anything similar. There's no error message at all.
I'm obligated to go through the Android settings panel and force the app to quit manually as I said previously.
that's super useful.
The "improbably short time" messages come from us ignoring suspiciously short interval between bluetooth scans - this is because most vendors have implemented a "double up" for ranging queries (which don't help us much):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/362 ... r-the-same - the log message us just us leaving breadcrumbs on "every even" scan getting ignored if the scans are grouping too close together.

the second message ("bluetoothReceiver not registered: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Receiver not registered: null") is the important one. It can happen either when the app is shutting down or when BT scanning has been turned off, but shouldn't be happening frequently/regularly.

A couple of clarifying questions:
1. Does the app have all the necessary permissions (check the Applications -> WiGLE WiFi... -> Permissions settings tab.)
2. Do you have a "last error log" to send (usually a crash will result in one of these)
3. It seems likely the app doesn't know it's crashed (enough to give a pop-up) in whatever state it's getting into. We're struggling to reproduce the situation here, but we're trying. It's possible that the UI is hung, but the background "service" is working just fine.
4. Does toggling the setting for BT off and on + exiting and re-starting the app fix anything? (could it be a wedged settings entry?)
Thanks for these details.

In order to answer to your questions:

1. The app has all the necessary permissions, especially the Bluetooth ones ("Access to the Bluetooth devices" and "Access to the Bluetooth settings" for example). I just checked again right now.
2. It appears that I don't have anything to send unfortunately but I would be glad to do so if I'm able to make such log.
3. This is another point I didn't precise (sorry): I assume that the background service doesn't respond too when the app freezes. The amount of WiFi networks and Bluetooth devices will remain the same in the notifications panel. The same goes for the CSV file sent to the servers.
4. No, it doesn't solve the issue at all. The app would freeze again if I don't disable the Bluetooth function in the Android settings. I have to do so, then I have to disable the Bluetooth scanning in the app settings to get the app working again. Note that I made some WiFi-only scans for a couple of hours since this issue and it works just fine.
SOLVED!

I found a fix after a new attempt in a public place: The issue was actually coming from the WiFi scan settings values.
I used to set all the WiFi scan times to "Nonstop" in order to see if it improved the performance and the amount of detected networks. After setting all the time values to the default ones (3, 2 and 1 sec), the app no longer crashes when performing a BT scan.

The curious fact is that I had absolutely no problem with the BT scan by using the "Nonstop" values on the previous version. But at least, the issue is now solved and the WiFi performance seems to be still the same. :D

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE WiFi Wardriving Bugs”