SSID not showing up

Talk about whatever

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby superfan321 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:31 pm

I upload a few collects, and Wigle seems to parse and geo locat an SSID I am interested in (its mine). When I go to the area and/or search I get now results with either SSID or BSSID.

The KML file that Wigle creates does have the SSID in the File and geolocates.

PLease help?

Postby arkasha » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:18 pm

it's unclear what you're trying to ask here.

Are you expecting the global database to automatically "agree" with your local results?
When you upload, the site takes a number of steps to make sure the data is good and then to estimate the current position of each network provided. How are you uploading, how and where are you searching, and what are you expecting?

Postby superfan321 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:42 pm

Sorry, I am not clear enough.

I uploaded a wifi survey that I used Kismet to create the collection data. I then uploaded it into the wigle database. My wireless router was on and seen by Kismet. I confirmed it in real-time and in the packet capture in post-processing.

Once uploaded my survey data; the dataset does appear in Wigle, but is missing the SSID of my router. The one that I am trying to analyze. To add further confusion, when I click on the file I upload wigle provides me with a KML file. In that KML my SSID is there and it is located close to my property as expected. So clearly Wigle was able to parse the data identify my SSID and give it the best guess location, but it is not showing up in the dataset online.

Again it is in the KML file that Wigle provides back after uploading.

Postby arkasha » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:46 pm

There are a lot of potential explanations for this.
If you search the wider world, does someone else use your router's MAC address?

Postby superfan321 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:50 pm

it ended up showing up. so not sure what changed. Thank you for assisting

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”