Web page uploads error?

Found a problem? Tell us about it! Topics-per-issue, please search before posting.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby pbulteel » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:27 am

I had no signal and couldn't upload a Wigle Android app scan, so I emailed the gz to myself to upload later - since gmail client stores emails to send later.

I used the uploads page and uploaded a 7Mb file, which was processed but showed "0 new" Wi-Fi SSIDs. I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate since all my other uploads direct from the Wigle app show new ones.

Transaction ID 20231105-02702
File uploaded WigleWifi_20231026133436.csv

-P

Postby bobzilla » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Did you upload successfully later that day? There is a 20231026-02874 transaction ID with a filename from later that day (WigleWifi_20231026205037.csv), which is a bit larger than the file uploaded yesterday. Spot checking I'm finding networks in that bigger file from last month that show up in the file uploaded yesterday.

The android client won't advance the observation marker in the local database unless there is a successful upload, so an upload after that would have the data in it, which I think is what happened here?
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby pbulteel » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:36 pm

What happened is that I had to power off the device so I saved what I had. When I powered it back on the old scan was removed. I was in a different country... The file I uploaded was from last week and I later in the day did another wardrive and upload. You can see the upload ID and filename have different dates.

The thing is, I uploaded 6000+ ssids and none show as new. I'd expect some new ones. I have almost no uploads that had 0 new Ssids. The ones that show 0 had only 2-3 ssids in the scan.

The main difference between all my uploads and that one is I used the website upload instead of the android app.

-P

Postby arkasha » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:14 pm

Worth noting that a failed upload doesn't mean those networks are lost - only that they'll get uploaded next time you upload.

Postby pbulteel » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:45 pm

In this case I was in an aeroplane and had no WiFi and no mobile signal, then had to power off the device.

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure there are new SSIDs in the upload. Just look for car APs like "BMW" or "mini", etc.

Like I mentioned before, I can't really find any upload done on the Android app which doesn't have a single new WiFi SSID detected.

-P

Postby arkasha » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm

We're suggesting that the next time you pressed the "upload" button in the app when you DID have a connection, all those networks got uploaded. Uploading the file generated during the failed upload wouldn't make a difference after that - it would effectively be all duplicates. The app doesn't "neglect" or "lose" any networks when an upload fails, it leaves the bookmark where it is, and tries again later.

Postby pbulteel » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:44 am

Aha! So I guess my understanding of the app was incorrect. I thought that if the screen didn't show data i.e. showed 0 for everything, then it had lost the data from the previous scan. I can now see that's not the case.

Thanks.

-P

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Bugs”