How can I corrected offset SSID's?

Talk about whatever

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby skarz » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:32 am

I had an old piece of crap TCL Android phone that I was using for war driving and it had pin point accuracy. Until my daughter put it in the dishwasher on sanitize setting. Picked up a newer half decent prepaid Android for wardriving and found that all of my "stumbles" are offset by like 25 yards and often cuts corners around bends. This was never an issue before. Can I drive back through the area perhaps on a side street or somewhere adjacent to "correct" those offset coordinates?

FWIW, walking around my property with my cheapo Android phone in left hand and new iPhone in right and they are very similar when comparing location on Google Maps. So not sure whats causing this offset.
Sorry about your old phone - losing a favorite device is always a heartbreak.

Some stuff to check:

- Check the Settings -> app permissions, make sure the"fine grained location" permission is granted
- Check your dashboard - the upper right will tell you what GNSS constellations you're listening to and what kind of fix you have
- Are you using GPS-only or GPS + assisted fix with terrestrial fixes? (aka tell-google-where-you-are mode)

finally: which Android version are you on? What kind of prepaid is it?

-ark and the WiGLE team

Postby skarz » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:18 pm

Hello,

I verified that WiGLE has access to precise location via app settings. Phone is a TCL T60DL and is running Android 12. As far as GPS, I see

Beidou 5
GPS 9
Galileo 4
Glonass 5

As far as the other information I don't know where to see that so I might need more specific instructions. :lol:

Postby arkasha » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:39 pm

that is a really large number of satellites - if that fix is no good, I don't know what will be. Also worth noting that your old phone probably didn't support all those GNSS constellations. If there's a way to turn off various satellite constellations on your device, you might see if one is the source of the inaccuracy in your area. Are you near anything that someone would intentionally misreport?

here's wytshadow's great presentation on wardriving and positioning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCSBFO-w6M - it does some head-to-head comparisons.

-ark

Postby skarz » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:25 am

For fun I picked up a Samsung A03s or something to that effect for like $50 and I'm going to go test it in some areas that don't have any samples to see if they're off. Should be interesting. I tested both phones with an app called GPS Test and both phones showed an accuracy within 1m so I'm not sure why my submissions are so off.

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 pm

worth noting that reported accuracy may be part of the problem! How were the actual locations?
It's truly amazing how different ones results can be from phone to phone. Price has zero reflection on accuracy and amount of aps etc. I too broke an old Motorola phone that was amazing at capturing ap" s and ble. Right now I'm going through all the low to mid grade moto s and now giving samsung a shot (so far I'm not impressed with Samsung btw) I'll post my results properly by mid year.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”