Identifying geographically mobile APs

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby k1n3k » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 am

I noticed some odd behavior when on the map and selecting the "only discovered by me" filter. Some of my finds are in places I've never been!
One commonality is these finds have all been seen multiple times. I was going to check to see if these finds had earmarks of mobile hotspots in cars or phones, but hit my daily quota. Unfortunately I'll probably have to map my own junk for research going forward with the API and GUI limits...

SO what if there were a way to compare the coordinates of finds that have multiple sightings? if there are say 3 sightings and each was geographically more than say 50 miles apart to account for GPS inaccuracy, then it may be possible to tag those SSIDs as mobile.
We do what's call "cluster trilateration" - we choose the place we think it's most likely an address is and estimate position there, when there have been multiple observations of a beacon in different locations. It's very likely that either the actual equipment moved, or that someone re-used the MAC address in a different location, it was observed by someone else, and that that cluster was more robust or more recent.

if you use the basic search tool, we'll show you all recent clusters. (you may need to zoom out)

We're still calibrating tile and query limits after our recent wave of attacks, we'll take your feedback to heart (or feel free to email us to discuss your project)

-ark and the WiGLE team
Ahh this is kind of what I figured. One part I love about using wigz in Las Vegas in the tiles that appear literally all over the world. Appreciate the explanation though. I was going to ask a similar Q? But came to the conclusion myself as it makes sense. I truly love Wigle for so many reasons and I'm sure I have thanked all those who help facilitate and keep wigle going but of course the original devs and their mission statement. Much love tz222zt
Oh interesting, this happened to me a while back and I was curious what was going on. thanks for sharing!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”