Kansas City Area?

Wardrivers: find others in your area

41 posts • Page 1 of 3

Postby ax0n » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:36 am

Hey there, I searched and didn't find anything for the Kansas City area. I know there's plenty of you out there, given the vast amount of AP's reported here.

I live in Olathe, work at JCCC in Overland Park, and I'm a part time pizza delivery driver in Olathe. You find all kinds of AP's delivering to odd side-streets, so I always have a laptop in the car.

Gear:
GPS: Garmin eTrex

Rig 1 (Currently offline, need a PRAM Battery):
PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet) - (Featured on HackerStickers.com)
OSX 10.2 Jaguar
D-Link DWL-650 (Prism 2.5) with the IOXperts driver
KisMAC

Rig 2:
NEC Versa 4050C (Pentium 90)
OpenBSD 3.5
Linksys WPC11 (Prism 3.0)
BSD-Airtools

You can catch me at the 2600 Meetings every month (First Friday, starts at about 6:00pm, Oak Park Mall food court) and driving around Olathe.

Postby frogman » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:54 pm

We had a 3 car wardrive caravan on Fri. after the 2600 meet. I've yet to post my logs, but ax0n and asmodianx may have theirs up. Woo. Yeah. Heh. Anyway, I guess I'm lucky to live on the other side of the city from ax0n so we don't generally scan the same areas, and I'll end up getting more discovery points sooner or later. :D

My current rig:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT (P-90)
FreeBSD 4.9
bsdairtools - dstumble 1.0
Dell TrueMobile 1150 (Lucent)
Garmin eTrex Legend

My original rig:
IBM 360CE (486-50)
FreeBSD 4.3
dstumble 1.0
Linksys WPC11 v1.0
no GPS

If I ever find a PowerBook 500-series PCMCIA module maybe I'll turn my 520c (680LC40-25) into a stumbling rig... :twisted:

Postby ax0n » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:11 pm

Froggy, I'll get you a bigger HD for that thing if you don't have one already (I have a few 800-2.1 Giggers laying around.) Also we totally need to get you up to FBSD 5.2.1 or better yet, OBSD 3.5 with patches. I have the media for FreeBSD 5.2.1 but I use FTP installs for OBSD.

Postby frogman » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:26 pm

I've got that 6Gb drive laying around. I'd use it and partition it but the Tosh doesn't seem to like the FreeBSD boot manager. Maybe I'll give it another go and have a multi-boot setup. Of course a nice 2GB drive would be easier to deal with than several GB of free space on a P-90.

Postby asmodianx » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:11 am

Shout-outs to Ax0n and Frogman.

Wardriving Rig:

1 Garmin Rhino 110
1 Panasonic Toughbook
Debian Linux (Unstable)
Kismet
Linksys 802.11b v.3 (prism 3)

my walkabout and find things rig:
Apple I-Book
MacOS 10.3
Kismac
(Airport 802.11b)

* Notes and mumblings:
Im having problems with the iBook and the USB serial adaptor.
It seems that The serial adaptor dies after the first GPS reading.

I dont see any features for persistant connections in Kismac
so Im thinking of trying to get GPSD to work on MacOS 10.3.
(It has a USB-Serial work-around supposedly)

The Toughbook is not my ideal choice the display is
unreadable in daylight. My toshiba tecra is temperamental on what it will boot. (Its a bill box as we speak) I have tried Net stumbler and I really think its not on the same level as Kismet and Dstumbler.

-=- AX -=-

Postby argh » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:58 am

ax0n: johnson county community college? wow, i've worked with them (remotely) for five years. i take care of a web server in their bookstore.

stumble with:

zaurus 5500/OZ/netgear 701
old gateway laptop w/debian unstable/orinoco silver
5 db omni
garmin etrex
garmin GPS-16

put up a project page over a year ago, it's still there!
http://zaurusgps.zaurii.net/

Postby asmodianx » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:13 pm

Sweet, Its a small world after all!

So your based out of Colombia MO?

Im a microcomputer tech for their dl support line.
-AX

Postby bobzilla » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:29 pm

This is great, the "meet and greet" is starting to work.

Postby asmodianx » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:18 pm

I installed FreeBSD 5.3 last night on my Toshiba and got dstumbler working with my orinoco. It works with my Linksys Prism3 too but wont go into monitor mode. It gets an io error.

Any thoughts?

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:37 pm

Does the orinoco do monitor mode, or are you doing active polling like I'm doing under 4.9 w/o source patches? I've been thinking of going back to the WPC11 Rev. 1 toget easy monitor mode, but the TrueMobile 1150 has much better signal.

Postby asmodianx » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:12 pm

Im using freebsd 3.5 stock, no mods.

the orinoco doesnt respond to the "-o" flag. (though i havnt tried bringing up the interface first like the Prism requires.)

Postby ax0n » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:46 am

ax0n: johnson county community college? wow, i've worked with them (remotely) for five years. i take care of a web server in their bookstore.
Oh no! I'd bet you know Sean Neilon and Chris Worthington, then. They're my favorite people in the WORLD!!! (okay not quite)

I don't have anything to do with the bookstore. I am top tier tech support for certain server resources and distance learning courses. I also do mundane sysadmin stuff at JCCC. AsmodianX and I met in an IT class at JCCC and now we both work here. Frogman and I met through a BBS back in 1993 - 1995. I can't recall when he joined up. The three of us briefly worked together on a gray-hat hacker E-Zine (the goal of which was to prime the intellectual pump and be somewhat pro-security biased, not to offer skript-kiddie hax0r-in-a-can tutorials)

We all frequent the local 2600 meetings and hang out together between meetings as well. Columbia's a heck of a drive, but my car club will be out there on oct 10th. I plan on wardriving on the whole trip.

Postby asmodianx » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:52 pm

I got dstumbler working.. I think Ill wait until they release an updated binary release for the gps problem.

Postby asmodianx » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:50 pm

Haha, im in the top 200 Baby!
...just about 184,000+ more or so to go till #1... sigh...

Changed the rig. Now im using a Compaq 6300 300mhz
on debian linux (W00t!) with an SMC 2532W-B complete with external antanae
using the hostap driver and Kismet. With a Garmin rhino 110 GPS.

Shout outs to Ax0n and Frogman

Postby NPMurphy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:24 pm

I just recently became interested in wifi and have been looking into all aspects of it. I really just started, so I don't really have a rig yet, though I'm getting there.

Laptops-
HP ze5615 - WinXP/P4 2.6ghz
Toshiba Satellite CDT400 - Gentoo (FreeBSD probably when 5.3-RELEASE is official)/Pentium (don't remember clock speed, don't have it with me)
EverEx StepNote Plus - NetBSD 2.0/Pentium 120mhz (no battery) 8MB RAM

Cards-
Broadcom BCM34306MP built into HP, fairly worthless, except when connecting to my friends' 802.11g Linksys AP
D-Link DWL-650 Rev.P (I didn't know this was Revision P until I bought it, or I wouldn't have. Hopefully get to use this card eventually)
Orinoco Classic Gold
Senao 2511CD Ext/2 (ordered, hasn't arrived yet)

Antennae-
Cheap rubber duck on order for Senao until I can drop some cash on a real antenna

GPS-
None, they are expensive... constantly scanning ebay though~

EDIT: I got all worked up about my gear, I forgot to mention that I live in Shawnee, but spend most of my time in Overland Park. I work at College and Metcalf, and I'm always at my friends' house near 95th and Antioch. I work late, but can adjust schedule here and there, and have weekends off. I'm eager to learn, which is good, because I have a lot of it to do. If there's plans to get together in the area and talk shop, let me know.

41 posts • Page 1 of 3

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”