New to WiGLE - KisMAC user

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby rickfriele » Wed May 12, 2004 8:40 pm

I am new to WiGLE and am fairly new to wardriving. I started using KisMAC about a month ago and have about 5 logs. I don't have a GPS unit though. I have been searching on the net for GPS units that work well with KisMAC and have been unable to find anything. This is probably due in part that KisMAC doesn't have as big of a userbase as NetStumbler for example.

Here are my questions..

Can someone reccomend a cheap GPS unit that will work with KisMAC?

What is the JiGLE client for? (I downloaded it and loaded my cities map pack.) Is it just to see your local AP's in your area?

There were no street names when I zoomed in using JiGLE. Is that normal?

Is there a way to get in touch with other wardrivers in your area? There are 11,000 AP's mapped in my area (Las Vegas, NV) so there must be a few wardrivers submitting their logs.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to contributing (as soon as I get a GPS device).

Postby bobzilla » Wed May 12, 2004 9:09 pm

Hey there, welcome to the party! :)
Can someone reccomend a cheap GPS unit that will work with KisMAC?
I believe anything that will do NMEA over a serial connection (or usb emulating serial) will work. uhtu will know better.
What is the JiGLE client for? (I downloaded it and loaded my cities map pack.) Is it just to see your local AP's in your area?
JiGLE and DiGLE are clients to play with/filter data from WiGLE, it is more fully featured than the web maps. They are also helpful to run while you are wardriving (preferably for your navigator friend) to target areas that haven't been stumbled much, and get real time feedback with how you're doing. DiGLE interfaces with NetStumbler, JiGLE can interface with Kismet (which doesn't help you all that much since you're on KisMAC, unless they use the same protocol between client and server, if they are even set up that way).
There were no street names when I zoomed in using JiGLE. Is that normal?
If you downloaded the Raster (bitmap) MapPacks, then the street names are drawn somewhere are the large image, but may not actually show up in the view that you are looking at. If you download Vector MapTrees the maps are drawn dynamically, so the streets will have their street names rendered on the view always.
Is there a way to get in touch with other wardrivers in your area? There are 11,000 AP's mapped in my area (Las Vegas, NV) so there must be a few wardrivers submitting their logs.
Currently no, except through these and other forums. I should pry set up a meeting-area forum for people, since this is asked every once in a while. We respect privacy, so we won't say who stumbles where, but if people voluntarily elect to meet and chat on forums or IRL that would be happy.

As for Las Vegas, the DEFCON wardriving contest is held there, so it's somewhat well stumbled, but many were probably found by out-of-towners. :)

Postby rickfriele » Thu May 13, 2004 6:55 pm

So do I need to export my results as a NetStumbler text file before uploading?

Postby rickfriele » Thu May 13, 2004 8:03 pm

Nevermind, uploaded some .ns1 files no problem.

Postby dirgotroni » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:14 am

Here are instructions I wrote and posted on the netstumbler forum for getting a cheap gps working with macosx:

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=13055

I recently did that route as far as gps goes. Hit up your local best buy or equivalent, pick up the Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator ($129.99) and follow my instructions. Sell off the copy of S&T to some poor windows schmuck.

Poof, matchbox sized gps that works with the mac.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”