Tiger maps off?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby SGN » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 pm

For some strange reason the Tiger maps seem to be off in my home area (ZIP 89451). I mapped my AP's I stumbled with GPSVisualizer.com and Wiggle both get the same results (using Tiger maps on GPSViz). The points seem to be about 100feet North-East of where they should be (or the roads are 100feet South-West - depending on how you look at it). Now I thought that my GPS unit was off - but its not. If I map the points using any other kinds of maps (Google Maps, Google Earth, Anything else that GPSVis, etc) - they show up just fine.

Example: The AP named Snowulf is right on Harold Dr (along with "paulsnetwork2"). Also the AP in the area named "Tahoe" is actually on the road named Fairway.

-SGN

(PS. Hi! This is my FP. And I hope I put this in the right area).

Postby SGN » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:29 am

Here's the link: http://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap/ ... ow+Address

Postby bobzilla » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Aye, our maps are only as good as the data we happily get for with no restrictions from the census :)

Postby goldfndr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 am

Roadnav news says that new Tiger data was released recently - are you using this newer data? I'm wondering if you're busy switching over, since I haven't seen the web maps functioning in at least five days. Or maybe there's some other issue?

Postby uhtu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:40 pm

the recent extended webmaps outage was a server contention/capacity issue which should be cleared up for the immediate future.

any problems you might see going forward are probably actual problems, rather than ones related to us attempting to run this massive site on an HP graphing calculator.

also: yaay new tiger data! we'll certainly get that rolled in as soon as is practical.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”