What long range antenna type do you guys suggest?

The gear needed for wardriving

13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Looking for antenna (or yagi) for a RV -Motorhome-? Floor to roof of rv is approx 11.5 feet, its a 36ft class-a motorhome...

I have laptop with Senao 2511cdplus-Ext2 card.. I will try to use shortest possible coax lengths... maybe 15 feet of LMR400?

I was thinking of this high gain omni vertical: http://pnt.zoovy.com/c=aOmcC3nquFNDSGCt ... duct/O2415

but if a yagi will be best, I can install it.. but i need to fab somthing to rotate yagi from within motorhome...

Some camp grounds do not offer wifi, but next door campgrounds and places across street do offer, some free some pay - it doesnt matter, as long as i can reach it!

What antenna will best work for us? vertical or yagi?

Postby argh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 am

yagi (or any directional gain antenna) will always be better, an omni will always be easier. you can get a small TV rotor to aim the yagi, but on an RV being sure you are parked/jacked very level will become more important.

am omni will pick up more interference and noise in unwanted directions also.

Postby flight_ace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 am

Yes I hear ya..

I was now looking into a 19db panel antenna and attach it to the existing TV antenna that the motor home has...

hopefully i can get some good range.... this is only fir internet surfing and email...

Postby argh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 am

in a directional, more gain = tighter pattern. in your situation, it will probably be a relatively short mast. taller means it's more and more important to have it solid. if you get something with a 15 degree beamwidth, it will have lots of gain, but will be focused very tightly. aiming will become critical if it's not a strong local signal. but? in a situation like that, it will easily also out-perform omnis. it's all a tradeoff. in general, i would stick with passive gain like you are talking about, instead of getting an amplifier. you could easily be introducing more problems than benefits in your situation.

Postby flight_ace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:47 am

The one I have my eyes set on has 18deg beamwidth.. its from ARC wireless solutions.. I hope its not that hard to swing around and look for a signal.. this is for internet surfing, and I will try to connect to the first allowable AP (be it free (store) or pay)

Let me ask this... to fine tune signal, does antenna elevation (up & down) tilt required?

Postby argh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:55 am

in some situation, defintely yes. in your situation, no. when studying the patterns of an antenna, note that they have a different vertical pattern (looking at the radiation pattern from the side) than they horizontally (looking down on it from above). as long as you are parked perfectly level, and your mast/antenna are true with the RV, basically you should never have to worry about it.

extreme terrain variations? perhaps. if you are on a big hill, and the AP is down n the valley, some downtilt could help if it's a fringe signal.

downtilt is usually more considered with wireless ISP's putting antennae on tall towers. there can be a 'doughnut' of poorer signal in close to the tower. in most cases, the WISP isn't trying so much to service the extreme outer edges of his antenna's range, and will often downtilt a bit to give more consistent coverage around the tower.

the amounts tilted are very small, usually just a couple of degrees. that would be hard to adjust. remember, use kismet or some passive (non-transmitting) signal strength measurement when adjustting a high gain antenna by hand. it's not immediately disastrous, but high gain and 2.4 gHz are not kind over time to eyballs and testicles (which are just about resonant at that frequency).

Postby flight_ace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:00 am

the amounts tilted are very small, usually just a couple of degrees. that would be hard to adjust. remember, use kismet or some passive (non-transmitting) signal strength measurement when adjustting a high gain antenna by hand.
This is for long range weaker signals right? how about a strong signal, i assume its easy to lock onto.....

Postby argh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 am

just keep away from YOUR high-gain antenna while it's transmitting, if you should be adjusting it by hand. if you can swivel your pole or use a rotor, you're fine. if's really strong, and local, you may get it fine no matter where it's pointed.

Postby flight_ace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 am

the tv anntena on top of the RV is adjusted (rotated) from inside the motorhome... and its actually next to where the laptop goes...

Im curious as to how far i might lock onto surfable signals...

Postby argh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:04 am

that's a wide-open question... the world record of 125 miles on 2.4 gHz unamplified was set last year at Defcon by teenagers with 12-foot dishes. they were also on mountaintops.

WISP guys regularly make reliable 30 mile links on 2.4 gHz with tall towers and high-gain antenna.

a highgain antenna to an omni on a pole or tower could be a mile.

if my laptop gets the refrigerator between it and my AP with rubber ducks, it could be 50 feet.

the answer is somewhere in between!

Postby flight_ace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:14 am

the 1 mile mark would be cool!

Postby asdf58 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:34 pm

that's a wide-open question... the world record of 125 miles on 2.4 gHz unamplified was set last year at Defcon by teenagers with 12-foot dishes. they were also on mountaintops.

WISP guys regularly make reliable 30 mile links on 2.4 gHz with tall towers and high-gain antenna.

a highgain antenna to an omni on a pole or tower could be a mile.

if my laptop gets the refrigerator between it and my AP with rubber ducks, it could be 50 feet.

the answer is somewhere in between!

Postby Petzl » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:50 pm

I use this one : http://www.rigpix.com/antennas/diamond_mg200.htm

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”