recommended miniPCI cards for Kismet?

The gear needed for wardriving

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby argh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:22 am

I am working on getting some different wardriving hardware up, and I am investigating miniPCI cards for the first time. I have broken enough pigtails on PCMCIA cards. I have an Intel 2915 card on hand that I have never used (that I assume that is functional, and I see it is supported in Kismet).

What have you had good or bad experience with?
I am working on getting some different wardriving hardware up, and I am investigating miniPCI cards for the first time. I have broken enough pigtails on PCMCIA cards. I have an Intel 2915 card on hand that I have never used (that I assume that is functional, and I see it is supported in Kismet).

What have you had good or bad experience with?
I bought 4 NL2511MPPLUS - Senao NL-2511MP Plus Mini-PCI cards.

The thing with miniPCI is the pigtails look more prone to break to me than PCMCIA. The connector is a U.fl(?), which are tiny little connectors. They recommend not unplugging them once you connect them. I honestly don't think you can without breaking it. So far I've not had any problems, but to be honest I'm kind of surprised the heavy n-female connectors on the end of the pigtails have not caused the wire to rip off from the other end. You just have to be extra careful with them.

Cards work good other than that. Especially if you want to run multiple cards and don't have a dual pcmcia laptop.

Postby argh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:31 pm

I have dual PCMCIA laptop, but am wanting to mod a laptop to use the miniPCI cards, and then install a small threaded connector of some sort (SMA?) on the laptop. The miniPCI card would basically stay connected then. Thanks for the tip, I'll check on them.

Postby littledave » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:06 pm

I have dual PCMCIA laptop, but am wanting to mod a laptop to use the miniPCI cards, and then install a small threaded connector of some sort (SMA?) on the laptop. The miniPCI card would basically stay connected then. Thanks for the tip, I'll check on them.
So you are going to use three radios? Two pcmcia and the mini pci. That would be cool.I use 4 2511 mp plus 200mw cards (Prism 2.5) and yes the connectors are not duty rated.

Postby argh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 am

I'm wanting to move away from PCMCIA completely. For the last year I've been driving with an old IBM A-21 (2 PCMCIA), and recently got an old Panasonic Toughbook (which is very cool). It has 3 PCMCIA slots, but I want to use the Toughbook with two miniPCI cards, and make it a 'trunk monkey'. It is made of magnesium (I can safely stand on it with the lid closed). There is no fan, the case is a heat sink. It is completely water/dustproof; the HD rides in gel and foam rubber, it should take the bumps better. It will hopefully live in my car trunk, and have bootup/gpsd/Kismet mostly automated.

I am not able to drive regularly, and it is currently a moderate hassle to get all the stuff out and hook it up. If I could have a semi-permanent install that was secure and invisible, I could do more casual driving.

Postby littledave » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:49 am

I'm wanting to move away from PCMCIA completely. For the last year I've been driving with an old IBM A-21 (2 PCMCIA), and recently got an old Panasonic Toughbook (which is very cool). It has 3 PCMCIA slots, but I want to use the Toughbook with two miniPCI cards, and make it a 'trunk monkey'. It is made of magnesium (I can safely stand on it with the lid closed). There is no fan, the case is a heat sink. It is completely water/dustproof; the HD rides in gel and foam rubber, it should take the bumps better. It will hopefully live in my car trunk, and have bootup/gpsd/Kismet mostly automated.

I am not able to drive regularly, and it is currently a moderate hassle to get all the stuff out and hook it up. If I could have a semi-permanent install that was secure and invisible, I could do more casual driving.
Are you going to post a how to?
If its going to be semi-permanent why not use every card it will run?
After I read your last post it got me thinking about the cf-72 I have. It doesn't have a mini pci card slot or does it? Mr google said it did :D Couple screwdrivers a little prying and there it is. Soon to come three radios.

Postby argh » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:23 am

This has all been done, on the automation, I am trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I have a CF-28, it has two miniPCI and three PCMCIA, so it could run five cards, all internally. I am poor folk, and cannot afford five radios + antennae.

If I get a better wheel, I will post pix and info as it goes on. Yahoo has a group on Toughbooks, and notebookreview.com has a very active forum here as well.

Postby littledave » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:04 am

This has all been done, on the automation, I am trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I have a CF-28, it has two miniPCI and three PCMCIA, so it could run five cards, all internally. I am poor folk, and cannot afford five radios + antennae.

If I get a better wheel, I will post pix and info as it goes on. Yahoo has a group on Toughbooks, and notebookreview.com has a very active forum here as well.
The toughbook was one of those short term projects. /Read I quit
After installing the card and getting pass a locked bios that I didn't know the password for. The card not found :oops: Maybe later I will play with it.

The best thing about project there never done.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”