kisMAC and GPS HELP!

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby stsk8r » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:02 am

Ok I got my GPS yesterday and I went to to Frys to pick up a USB to Serial Adapter. I got a IOGEAR it was the only one that I could find that had System Requirements for a Mac. I have a MacBookPro running OS 10.5.1 with kisMAC r239. The GPS is GARMIN GPS 18 PC/Serial DB9 its NMEA compatible. There is 2 versions of this model the USB version which does not support NMEA that's why i picked up the PC/Serial one. Ok I have installed gpsdX I ran the gpsdXConfig and was unable to locate my device. I could not get it to work with kisMAC I even installed the driver that came with the USB to Serial Adapter. The adapter I got even says for: GPS, PDA's and etc, and for that I thought for sure I was in the right direction LOL. But yeah I cannot get it to work, here is a photo of the GPS and adapter. Oh... and yes I have the cig plugged in for power. :)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9357/gpsag7.jpg

If anyone can help, please do because I need it bad. I am hoping this would work somehow because I already returned one GPS unit that did not work with my setup, lol.

thanks

stsk8r

Postby argh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:24 am

I am not familiar with Kismac, but with Kismet a serial--> USB adapter has to be called /dev/ttyUSB0 (or perhaps USB1, etc).

Postby stsk8r » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 am

thanks
am not sure either, I posted this over on kismacs forum hoping someone could help.

I am not going to give up just yet :)
and if I do I heard that the USGlobalSat BU-353 works with my setup and is cheaper, so might give that one a try.

stsk8r

Postby argh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:06 am

try calling it like this as root:

Code: Select all

gpsd -D 2 -N /dev/ttyUSB0

Postby scruge » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Here's another option which isn't so complex.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:27 pm

He will still have to start gpsd about that way (won't need the debug choice for driving, of course). I got a BU-353 for USD $19.95 new, on a Black Friday sale. For non USA people, that is a big shopping day to kick off Christmas seasonal shopping. So far, I am quite happy with it. I had been using serial/battery GPSs before as well, nice to reduce the wires.

Postby themacuser » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:08 am

You'll need to install a driver for the USB to serial adaptor if you want it to work - have you?

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”