Downloading data through JiGLE for any geographic area

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

3 posts • Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to download Australian data from WiGLE using JiGLE. From a post a while back (http://wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1376#p6264), there's a description of a bit of a hack to do it:
What I did was this...
Installed jigle
Copied and modified .mappack file in notepad or simple text editor
- changed short name
- changed ref coordinates to area of interest
Saved and closed mappack
Started jigle
Chose new map pack at top left of the window
Authenticate Login in prompt to draw down data from wigle
When complete I searched for the latest modified .auto cache file in the data directory
I copied it and renamed the extension .txt
Opened it in text editor
Ran find and replace - find all tildes and replaced with commas
Saved file and renamed extension .csv (voila!)
The last two steps can be skipped if you have an application that can import a text file with a tilde as a separating value (ms access in my case)
I've tried this and had some success downloading data for a town with a population of ~150,000 people. The data I got was ~7000 points. I then proceeded to try and download data for the entire State of Queensland (population ~4.5 million, don't know how many points). JiGLE took a while thinking (probably a few minutes), then *some* of the relevant data showed up on screen, but again, only around 7,000 points - clearly not the entire state's data. I looked through all the generated .autocache files that cache the data, and most of them don't have any points, even in places where points do show up on the WiGLE website map. I thought I might have been rate limited, so I went to the WiGLE query web page, but that still works fine, so I assume I'm not. So how do I go about getting *all* the data for the geographic area, given that what is displayed (and what exists in the .autocache files) is clearly not the entire state's data? At the moment I've got no way to know what and how much data has been omitted, I just know a lot is missing...
first thing would be to check your logs and make sure you're not excepting at somepoint, you may need to adjust either your crafted mappack or your java runtime variables.
the second would be to "refresh current mappack" (and make sure you're using a recent JiGLE, say 0.8.0), the load/cache algorithm has some odd edge cases

you may also have tripped a bug in either the client or the backend services, if you want to send your .mappack along to wigle-admin @ wigle.net we can have a look.
first thing would be to check your logs and make sure you're not excepting at somepoint
I only have warning and info level logs, no exceptions per se.
, you may need to adjust either your crafted mappack or your java runtime variables.
I tried giving the JVM more memory by executing as java -Xmx256m -jar JiGLE.jar, but this hasn't changed anything.
the second would be to "refresh current mappack" (and make sure you're using a recent JiGLE, say 0.8.0), the load/cache algorithm has some odd edge cases
I gave this a go (refreshing mappack) - didn't make a difference unfortunately. I'm using JiGLE 0.8.0.
you may also have tripped a bug in either the client or the backend services, if you want to send your .mappack along to wigle-admin @ wigle.net we can have a look.
Will do. Many thanks in advance.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”