Windows zero configuration

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Guest » Fri May 07, 2004 6:08 am

I want to use ZDConfig (the software that came with my wireless reciver) but when i try it open it say "Wireless LAN is controlled by Windows Zero Configuration!!!". I've use the software before but for some reason windows wants to take over it. I've tried to end the service using the servics util in the adminstrative tools but it didn't work. How could I give control back to ZDConfig?

Postby Apollyon » Fri May 07, 2004 2:19 pm

** To disable Windows Zero Configuration**

Either in the system tray or in Network Connections, right-click the applicable wireless card > click "View Available Wireless Networks" > in the Wireless Network Connection window, click "Advanced" > in the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, uncheck "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". Click "OK".

Now see if your third-party software works.

Apollyon

Postby Guest » Sat May 08, 2004 5:39 am

Yes, thank you that worked. I was also wonder what you think the best wi-fi managment program out there is?

Postby bigman1234 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:29 am

What do you mean about wireless management? Are you trying to manage an Access Point or search for wireless networks that broadcast the SSID?

Postby SonjaMichelle » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:53 am

Another thing you can do is go inti the control panel, under administrative tool: open services, locate the Wireless Zero Config service. Stop it, then disable it. This will prevent it from interferring with your wireless card. I had to do that with my speedstream card.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”