Another kind of wardriving

General wireless news

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby KH » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:52 pm

Another kind of wardriving..
NYC Taxicabs to Test Cell Signal Strength comp.dcom.telecom posting about Ericsson measuring the signal strength of cellular providers in New York with simple boxes mounted in taxicabs. (warning: the telecom-digest.org site linked from the above google groups page is full of background music and 'cute applets' and other mayhem)

Sounds like a nice wardriving setup, only cellular providers pay for this data.. maybe this is the way: just gather enough information besides wifi networks (cellular reception, radio/tv signal reception) and your wardriving habit can pay. Somehow.

Postby poacher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Its an interesting thought. Adding a signal strength meter to a GPS, (which is essentially what war driving boils down to.) enables quite complex signal paths to be mapped. With a little ingenuity the technique could be adapted to any RF signal. I'm tempted to have a play with a scanner, gps and my laptop. There may be money in this.

Postby KH » Mon May 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Resurrecting an ancient thread:
Adding a signal strength meter to a GPS, (which is essentially what war driving boils down to.) enables quite complex signal paths to be mapped. With a little ingenuity the technique could be adapted to any RF signal. I'm tempted to have a play with a scanner, gps and my laptop. There may be money in this.
A UK company did a survey of the complete RF spectrum all over the UK using cars with an RF analyzer in a car roof box. Interesting, both from wardriving and from wireless network user perspective:
UK spectrum map uncovers mysterious emissions in Cumbria - The Register

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Wireless News”