Wigle Wifi for Android: Suggestions

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

196 posts • Page 8 of 14
Reporting would be unchanged, the App uploads all observations WiGLE.net. Our servers then process all observations from all uploaders to determine the likely spot for the network. Making what the App shows a bit better than last-one-wins is definitely on the todo list.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
Is there anyway to make it where it automatically scans when the app is opened? Would be nice when driving. Turns 3 taps into 1.
It doesn't do that already? Mine will even enable Wifi automatically if it is off. One click to open and forget about it. Until I get to my destination where I tell it to upload and then exit.
It doesn't do that already? Mine will even enable Wifi automatically if it is off. One click to open and forget about it. Until I get to my destination where I tell it to upload and then exit.
I know on the 3 devices I use to wardrive with I have to open the app, tap menu, then tap start. What I would like would be for it to start scanning when you open the app. Or at least an option to start that way. That way if you have another app that can open multiple apps you could have a driving mode. It will open Wigle and keep it in the background and the other one you want for navigation in the foreground.
What would it take to support the Kindle Fire HD wifi model? My kids won one, and I was disappointed to see there are no stumbler apps for it. I've only had it for a day, so I am still looking at GPS connection and things that might make it impractical for stumbling.
I'm happy to note that version 1.55 runs happily on the Kind Fire HD and fixes the Settings crash issue. I'm not seeing the new version in the Amazon app store yet, but was able to download and install from github.com.

The lack of a real GPS on the Fire limits it's usefulness as a true stumbler rig, but it's nice to see the app fully operational.
Had to wait for amazon to approve the 1.54 before I could submit 1.55 and then wait for that to get approved. Downside of walled gardens.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby BMap » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 pm

I would really love to see a feature to query the local DB for the 5 nearest(based on GPS) open networks. If it could then highlight these on the map would be even better. This would be really useful if someone needs internet access in a pinch.

Postby tomez » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am

It would be nice if there is a special alarm tone for SSID's which match the SSID filter

ps. this is a great App :D
Tomez
my suggestion is that instead of files 1-by-1 uploads, i want to also upload the FOLDER that contains all the files i wanna upload, because the ones that are already in database wont be duplicated, right? i'm not saying i'm too stupid to remember which i uploaded, but where i go to use a computer is FAST! so, i was thinking, Upload folder then DO NOT CLOSE PAGE! then let it automatically upload all files while i step away from computer

Postby uhtu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 am

my suggestion is that instead of files 1-by-1 uploads, i want to also upload the FOLDER that contains all the files i wanna upload, because the ones that are already in database wont be duplicated, right? i'm not saying i'm too stupid to remember which i uploaded, but where i go to use a computer is FAST! so, i was thinking, Upload folder then DO NOT CLOSE PAGE! then let it automatically upload all files while i step away from computer
As the file post page on the main wigle site notes:
"You may send a gzipped tar archive - if the file name ends in '.tar.gz' the individual members will be extracted and processed sequentially. You may send one or more files pkzipped (compressed using zip/winzip/pkzip/others), and they will be processed sequentially, although please note that new filenames will be assigned during processing."

so you can do this already, you'll just need to tar/zip the directory before posting.
-uhtu
Hello everyone.
Programmers wish. Please add the algorithm of finding the point of access, taking into account different coordinates and signal strength for accurate WiFi. To coordinate access point shifted given the different origin of signal strength, and then records the first place.
Android client new option: Purge local database

Add an option on the Android client to purge local database, so it keeps only, lets say, the best 10 locations (or the last 10) of each network.

It takes each day more time to load the app and load the databases. It appears that I will need to reset the database anytime soon to make the app faster.
When I try to export the database to .csv, it takes LONG time.
My database on the phone is getting bigger, some networks I have more than a thousand visualizations. I have a total of 2000000 network locations.
Most of them are very similar and useless anyway.
If we had an option to purge the database and keep only the best (or last, or both) few locations of each network, the quality of the data wouldn't suffer and the database would be much cleaner.
How about an automatic upload? Triggered after every 24 hours?

Also I would love to have a widget, even a simple one to: Start, stop, upload and maybe display the data without having to open the app.

Postby d2k2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

hello, i was using the wigle app on a xperia arc and now switched to an Samsung S4, where it does look like this:
Screenshot_2013-07-11-11-01-47.png
Screenshot_2013-07-11-11-01-47.png (86.22 KiB) Viewed 94134 times
the buttons to switch between "list" "map" "overview" "data" are VERY small, its realy difficult to handle like this :roll:

could you adopt the gui for phones with large screens?
Hello,
is it posssible to setup Wigle app this way?
* hiding of service indicator (placed in top of screen blue earth -
Wigle wifi service)
* sending collected data to another place in easy way (mail,ftp...)

thankx

196 posts • Page 8 of 14

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”