Wigle Wifi for Android: Suggestions

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

199 posts • Page 13 of 14
Suggestions for improving the "offline" use of Wigle Android App ...

Wigle appears to use Google mapping for the maps, and caches downloaded map pictures for the street-map? This data seems to fade away over time, so areas lose detail (and become upscaled blurry pics, roads start going missing etc.).

Could Wigle make use of downloaded/offline Google Maps (I have these on the phone for use in Google Maps/Google Driving Mode) ? Or as an alternative, downloaded Organic Maps data?

In the same spirit -- the overlay of purple dots showing Wifi spots that I have already Wigle'd. This feature only works with data access. Could these overlay tiles be cached? Although they would become out of date, I feel that some indication of previous Wigle activity would be better than none.
The maps do provide a certain degree of offline caching, but it depends on your device; it bases that one OS version, free space, etc. we don't have much control over what it choses to keep/delete. As always, pull requests are welcome!
Also I noticed in the Database page/settings: The phrase "Log routes for execution" and "Show routes for execution". This feels like maybe a translation error? The context here seems to make more sense if that was replaced by "... for RUN", which is consistent with other areas of the app.

As in Run: (noun) Series, Sequence, Extent (a run of bad luck)

Not as in Run (verb): Execute (for code/app/program!)
not a translation error - "execution" is intentional, and a clarification.
"Run" has been ambiguous and misleading since the beginning of the app.
Both mean "during the current execution of the program."
Black list for a certian SSID. Use case - I can use it by driving, however I have in car Wifi, so this SSID will be spotted around all my drivings.
blacklist exists by BSSID, which works.
SSID is unreliable for filtering since many networks can have the same name.
Black list for a certian SSID. Use case - I can use it by driving, however I have in car Wifi, so this SSID will be spotted around all my drivings.
You always show up in your own logs no matter what. The ignore list resides on the server and strips those MAC from the database during upload I believe. You have to send a message to the admin team. It isn't just Wifi you need to think about. Also bluetooth devices you own which don't identify as BLE. BLE randomizes its MAC. So for instance I have an ODB2 reader that shows up in the database.
WiGLE....
Have you driven today?
we have an on-device option to block either/both display or logging on the device - but by BSSID, not SSID, since that would be impractically broad.

click the wrench icon on the main list view!
we have an on-device option to block either/both display or logging on the device - but by BSSID, not SSID, since that would be impractically broad.

click the wrench icon on the main list view!
Oh that's neat. That makes it a lot less annoying for you.
WiGLE....
Have you driven today?
...and keeps information you don't want us to have from ever reaching us - the best secret is the one you never share!

-a
Could we get a way to change/add text to the file names of the CSV's just to make it easier for us to determine which upload if from which phone?
What kind of name? This can be a little fraught, that chosen poorly, that name could leak information that has an impact on privacy.
Add a feature request with details in github!
The easy way to determine which upload is from which phone is to upload the data on different days, a choice that has absolutely zero data monitoring risks because the user doing the uploads is the only person with any full knowledge of it. This is just a suggestion but it's what I've done for years now, my only interest is being able to observe the amount of wireless radiation everywhere because I've been making devises for years that monitor patients muscle contraction EMG data and I have seen so many issues with "detectors" that were confused by wireless radiations in hospitals that nobody was thinking about.
What kind of name? This can be a little fraught, that chosen poorly, that name could leak information that has an impact on privacy.
Add a feature request with details in github!
I was just thinking adding something like cellphone model just so i can determine which upload came from what phone at a glance.

ill go hit up the git too thank you.
The easy way to determine which upload is from which phone is to upload the data on different days, a choice that has absolutely zero data monitoring risks because the user doing the uploads is the only person with any full knowledge of it. This is just a suggestion but it's what I've done for years now, my only interest is being able to observe the amount of wireless radiation everywhere because I've been making devises for years that monitor patients muscle contraction EMG data and I have seen so many issues with "detectors" that were confused by wireless radiations in hospitals that nobody was thinking about.
I want to upload them at the same time, its interesting to see which phone did better on a run. help me figure out if it was the radio of the phone location in my vehicle ect.
I just have a habit of always uploading in the same order - S7, S9, Pixel, Wispy, Jhewitt-mod. The JH units I can tell apart from their number also. Can get a little goofy on days with multiple drives, but it works for me.

With my AtomGPs units I rename files pulled off each so I know what’s what. I need to hack some cfg.txt code for those so I can put a unique “fileprefix” value on each easily…

199 posts • Page 13 of 14

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”