SSID a9f1bdf1dab1nvt4f4f59

General wireless news

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby jeffreyang » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:42 am

Hi there, does anyone knows this SSID a9f1bdf1dab1nvt4f4f59. Its common everywhere, but i can't seems to identify the AP location

Postby danx » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 am

I have about a half-dozen hits on my Android (through the Wigle App). 17231 of these have been scanned in Wigle. It's always on channel 10, with WEP, IBSS capabilities. Ad-hoc mode.The BSSID is all over the place.

Of my half-dozen hits, all seem to be on roads, except for one at in my parking lot at work. I'll keep an eye out for it.

My guess is it's some sort of dumb device, perhaps embedded in an automobile.

Postby bigstape » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm

How curious. The ones I've found have invalid MAC addresses and are always in larger towns.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby m86 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 am

bored, so looked through me logs

some observations...
*it's an ad-hoc network.. so.. naturally, the BSSID is going to be random.
*the MACs of attached clients seem to be (at least / mostly) those w/ NEC OUIs (00:16:97 being among them)
*devices personally observed by me appear to be stationary (multiple obs. at the same location over time), Libraries seem to be a common spot

I would guess these SSIDs are being broadcast by wireless-capable NEC projectors - maybe using an NP01LM or NP02LM Wi-Fi module - likely for configuration/auto-detection/etc with their software.

Postby afterm4th » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:08 am

doing a google search of a9f1bdf1dab1nvt4f4f59 shows others trying to solve the same question.

as m86 suggests, this is most likely a Wifi enabled NEC projector

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Wireless News”