Rasberry Pi

The gear needed for wardriving

47 posts • Page 3 of 4

Postby PoshMag1C0de » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm

True though I did it so I can start up the server when I want and shut it down when I am done and shutdown pie gracefully instead of just powering off and on. I do have it configured to where if I wanted it can autostart. Also, in the new 2018 B1 they include a systemd script that can be used with the older version of Kismet as well if you want. Thinking of using that and systemd as my starters as well.

Postby strasharo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Does Wigle support the new sqlite output format of the newest Kismet already? Last time I checked it wasn't compatible.

Postby PoshMag1C0de » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 am

Nope, that was another issue. Plus the new version is not complete and missing a whole lot of stuff the old one catches so I use the old one still.

Postby ccie4526 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:02 am

Nope, that was another issue. Plus the new version is not complete and missing a whole lot of stuff the old one catches so I use the old one still.
Yeah, I was doing some digging into the sqlite db tables and fields, and there's a lot of information that gets saved in the 2016-07-R1 release that just isn't captured/saved in the 2018-08-BETA1 release. So I'm still running the 2016 code on all my raspis. I did shamelessly steal the concept of using the Pi 3B+ onboard wifi as a local AP/DHCP/NAT device so I can SSH into it from my phone and do whatever needs to be done and/or looked at as necessary... even in the middle of a walk/ride/whatever.

Still sniffing after all these years...

Postby Coder_Fox » Sat May 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Just a general knowledge post.
While building a raspberry pi set up (or on any platform with no integrated GPS) most people recommend the GlobalSat BU-353-S4. But when I was building my set up the 30$ price tag was kind of high (this is almost a raspberry pi or a new wifi adapter). So, I found a method of building the same thing but for 3$. I didn't find any place describing anything similar so I'll post it here. Basically what I saw while looking at people setting up the GlobalSat receiver is that they use a Prolific PL2303 USB-UART driver. The word UART is an immediate hint on the fact that the GPS chip actually has nothing to do with USB and communicates using a Serial port. So, what I did is I found a UART GPS module which was the NEO-6M board (2.5$ on aliexpress) and soldered it to a CH340G USB-UART converter(0.5$ on aliexpress).
NEO-6M -----> CH340G
GND -----> GND
VCC -----> VCC or 5V or 3V3
TX -----> RX if correctly labeled TX if inverted labeling.
If the CH340G board has a voltage jumper select 3V3.
After connecting this contraption to a raspberry pi I've rut the generic:

Code: Select all

gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0

Code: Select all

cgps

and saw a 3D fix in a few minutes since I was indoors. Outside it takes 30-60 sec to get a 3D fix and then it maintains it really well. Kismet works perfectly on this cheap USB GPS module. Also, you can probably connect it to the UART pins on the pi itself but I didn't try this yet.

Postby strasharo » Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 am

Could you, please, post a photo of the wiring for the module? It would help a lot of folks who are not familiar with that part of the equation like me for example. :) Thanks.

Postby Coder_Fox » Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Could you, please, post a photo of the wiring for the module?
Here you go.
Down there you can see the voltage select pis usually there will be a jumper that connects two neighboring leads so you need to put in a postilion so it contacts the pin in the middle and the 3.3V pin.

Postby strasharo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks a lot. Is there a way to connect it directly to the GPIO or it's mandatory to go via the USB through CH340G?

Postby Coder_Fox » Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Is there a way to connect it directly to the GPIO or it's mandatory to go via the USB through CH340G?
Apparently yes: https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspbe ... eo-6M-GPS/

Postby mpeg4ever » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Different versions of my raspi:
2013: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451#p7765
2014: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451&start=15#p8084
2015: Was just that beta (attachent warpi_beta3.jpg) which I didn't really use:
warpi_beta3.jpg

and now I'm currently using 2016:
wifipi_3.jpg

I first started to make Raspberry Pi wardrive thingy with a external display but then I started to think that there is no reason for a external display which just use power and makes things difficult.
So when I bought Raspberry Pi 3B which has it's own wifi nic I decided to make it work as a access point so I have external nic scanning network with kismet and internal nic running as access point so when ever I want to do something I just connect to that AP with my phone and open the browser:

wifipi_6.jpg

And here I can see what I need to see and do pretty much everything what I want to do =)
- If I click green button it will stop kismet_server, do a tar.bz packages of logs files, move old files to different directory, send that tar.bz to wigle.net (When ETH0 is connected) and then shutdown my raspi.
- If I click yellow button it will just restart my raspi
- If I click red button it will shutdown

There is also links to "Restart Kismet" and "Restart GPSD" because sometimes GPSD can't get fix and it's quicker to restart just that service than whole raspi. I can also restart kismet_server because why not? =)
On that screenshot you can see line about "GPS Fix" line it shows nothing or "2D Fix" and normally "3D Fix" because it's nice to know if you have fix or not because there is not reason to wardrive without good enough location data.
Absolutely a super setup, my compliments.
But now a question I have. Using the car every day to goto work, customers, family...everything...I often get in and out and it's too much time and effort to carry around some hardware and power it on and power it off and removing it else it would get stolen pretty quickly. So... how to continue to use my mobile as "the intel" part with the app, and to connect to "something" that is hidden in the car where only the two antennas could be almost visible ?
I think it's not possible, is it ? Whatever this "intel" part is...it would be switched on and off instantly with engine start/stop, plus it has to talk bluetooth with the mobile so it needs capability and some time to sync with Android. Is it technically possible ? You think something could be created ? Like a "remote antenna scanning device.....", transmitting via BT only the BSSID info it collects.... guess we woud need a "WIGLE-remote" new app or chunk of code to manage this. But if somebody builds a kit that does this, maybe with two SMA female connectors...well...I'd buy it immediately !
Thanks, ciao
Alex

Postby d2k2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:29 pm

im running a headless rpi-setup:
  • Raspberry Pi 3b with Kali 64 Bit OS
  • RTC hat
  • GPS module on UART
  • OLED screen
  • some WLAN sticks
rpi3b setup:

and before that, my try with a rpi0w:

full guide on how its made: https://www.designer2k2.at/de/mods/elek ... ving-setup

Postby mpeg4ever » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:17 am

.......................//cut//....................
full guide on how its made: https://www.designer2k2.at/de/mods/elek ... ving-setup
Wow ! Really cool, compliments !
If you don't mind...:-)...here is a list of questions for you... thanks !
Can you tell me what is an approximate price of this ?
Would you be interested in building one identical and selling/shipping it ?
Can I see a picture of equipment overall ? Where it's placed (and eventually hidden) in the car ?
Many thanks, ciao !
Alex

Postby d2k2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:18 pm

i have it sitting on the dashboard, nothing hidden, looks for shure a bit shady :D

a nicer 3d printed enclosed would be good, but even more a refined gui script, there is a lot of manual command´s needed to get the *.kismet files into csv and then wo WiGLE :?

price depends on the WIFI sticks you want to use. you should build it yourself as there are many different ways to get it running :wink:

Postby toothpaste » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:45 pm

• Raspberry Pi 3b with Kali 64 Bit OS
  • RTC hat
  • GPS module on UART
  • OLED screen
  • some WLAN sticks
rpi3b setup:

and before that, my try with a rpi0w:

Have you updated this setup? Wondering what you are using now.

Postby d2k2 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:40 pm

Hello,
yes, as the rpi3 died on me its now running with a rpi4: https://github.com/designer2k2/warpi

I will soon check out the latest Kismet wardriving overlay, that should simplify it even further :)
viewtopic.php?p=11155

47 posts • Page 3 of 4

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”