$200 maps of wireless points

General wireless news

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bobzilla » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:16 pm

http://www.wirelessmapping.com/

These guys are charging $75 - $200 for maps of wifi points. Somewhat goofy.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:21 pm

not only that...the client has to run netstumbler and drive the area, then send this guy their .ns1 file, then he charges 75 bucks to plot it...umm...

Postby arkasha » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:23 pm

...should we inform their clients that they can just download JiGLE/DiGLE and load up a stumble for *interactive* mapping.

i guess it's value-added that they draw big, meaningless circles around the triangulated location, suggesting an unrealistic coverage pattern? i guess that gets done a lot.

Postby SuperGeek » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Personally I like the way that I do it a little better. I use netstumbler to get the waypoint database, then I convert the summary output with GPSBabel to a GPX format and then open that with ExpertGPS, which has a live internet satellite picture database. It's actually pretty quick to do. Here's a local map of my area. The only thing is that ExpertGPS cannot have more than 1 waypoint (SSID in this case) with the same name so it adds a "/number" to the SSID, so that an SSID of "Wireless" may look like "Wireless/245" if it were the 246th time that SSID was in the file.

Postby beakmyn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:45 pm

You can use my program for free
http://tinyurl.com/bs9vd

of if you insist I'll create a sliding fee scale based on the type of output and per byte processing fee.

Postby hratch » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:16 pm

how much to print out my entire stumble log on a state by state basis? :)

Postby whitedice » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:43 pm

how much to print out my entire stumble log on a state by state basis? :)
I'll give ya $20 to see a map of "only found by hratch". I'm curious to see where all you have been. I'm also curious as to who you are travelling on tour with for that matter.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Wireless News”