Bluetooth on 2.36

Issues with the Android network detection software. Please include Software version, Android version, and device when reporting

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby Phlik » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Great to see the addition of Bluetooth.

Network List
However, on "Network List" there is a huge amount of repetition of the same BLE devices (same signal strength and reporting time). Is this an error - it certainly makes that screen less useful in a Bluetooth rich environment?

I like the Wi-Fi, Cell and BT count at the top of the screen but perhaps the ability to filter that view on each is required now?

Dashboard
Inconsistency now on the Dashboard which shows WiFi and BLuetooth at the top (and color coded) but New Cell are in the bit below?

Uploads
I assume Bluetooth is also reporting under the Cell GPS now? Bit miss-leading if that is the case?

Postby arkasha » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:39 am

Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Network list: Sorry - we thought we'd eliminated the possibility of duplicates. We're working to diagnose and prevent this. If you'd be willing to share, screenshots and device details would be helpful!

Cell/BT Wrapping on top bar: could you send a screenshot? We'd intended the new icons to improve screen real-estate.

Uploads: the site uploads don't tabulate Bluetooth yet, and we don't vend them back (on site or API). Because WiGLE is careful to defend the privacy of our users, we're waiting for (small) threshold of uploads/users before we expose BT data to the world.

Postby Phlik » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks...

Network list
I am using an Samsung S7 Edge with Android 8.0. The effect is consistent in that Bluetooth devices invariably report repeatedly - in one block - with the same time stamp. I've counted repetition (of the same device and timestamp) from 4 to over 100 lines.

Re the icons - it is not really an issue on wrapping but perhaps a feature would be when clicking on those icons the network list displays only those selected (in color perhaps)? Eg if I want to just look at Bluetooth or WiFi this would remove clutter from the list below.

Dashboard
Very minor! The "New Cell Towers" line apears in a different part of the Dashboard to "New WiFi" and "New Bluetooth". Also, the use of "Towers" is a bit missleaiding - should it just be "New Cell"? While on Dashboard the DB Queue line always seems to be 0 for me? If that is the case is it worth having on the Dashboard as it converys little information?

Uploads
Good stuff on the privacy. I was refering to the Uploads screen on the app where next to "Cells GPS:" per Upload the new Bluetooth devices seem to be included witihn that number and not spearated from the Cells? Certainly I have not detected the number of new Cells it is reporting on Uploads next to "Cells GPS:" on anyother screen in the app.

Postby arkasha » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm

this is all great feedback - watch this space for news as we fix these.

Postby arkasha » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 am

The easy visual fixes:
https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi- ... g/pull/275

Postby arkasha » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 am

the new-cells subsuming the BT networks will get fixed when we roll out the partition between the upload data on the server side - that will fix itself as we implement. (so no immediate fix pending)

Postby arkasha » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Duplicate BT nets:

https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi- ... g/pull/276

Postby Phlik » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you for such a responsive update! It is great that feedback is so quickly incorporated.

Still seeing duplicate Bluetooth entries on the Network List view but not if "Show current networks only" is selected in Settings. By selecting this option to show only the current networks it seems to also stop the application freezing which was the other issue I was seeing in when there was a high number of networks (~200) being seen concurrently.

Postby arkasha » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm

oh, awesome note - I think I'd assumed the problem was in show-current only. I'll keep digging (I rarely use show-all because it gets long quickly).
2.38 is fully released now, with the major fixes in. We'll keep digging.

Postby Citro1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 am

Hello,

are no BT MACs displayed in the Wigle Map? (Windows)

Postby Whig » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Are bluetooth devices saved anywhere? Or will wigle found them as a new thing everytime when you run wigle?

Postby arkasha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 pm

We're building out the server-side functionality as we speak - it's been our policy to front-run web-based publication with data collection for a few months in order to preserve the anonymity of individual discoverers when the data goes live.

If you're interesting in using your data, you'll find it stored in the csv.gz files the client uploads to the server as well as your WiGLE Wardriving sqlite database for your usage!

Postby iggle » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:24 am

Looks like the same Bluetooth issue persists in Wigle 2.38.
Running on Android 7.1.1, I have two Bluetooth devices
connected: a GPS and an earphone. These devices are
constantly logged in the Network list until the list becomes
very long. After a few tens of minutes, the list stops updating,
wifi starts to run into timeouts, and finally the menus become
unresponsive. Exiting and restarting the application solves it.

Maybe Wigle shouldn't log devices that are currently
connected to the device running Wigle.

Also, the Settings screen has a checkbox for Bluetooth scanning.
This checkbox appears to do nothing, bluetooth scanning is
always on.

Postby arkasha » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

wow, that's bad behavior - sorry. we'll get this sorted out for a fix release.

Postby bobzilla » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm

We should probably put a cap on the number we keep if "show current only" is turned off. Devices don't have a ton of memory, and sorting becomes slower.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE WiFi Wardriving Bugs”