portable home-made war-driving gear

The gear needed for wardriving

24 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby zebul666 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 am

hi.

I just wanted to make use of some stuff laying around

So it's a rpi0 (no wifi) using a portable power bank and a USB hub with a wifi (n) card (TL-WN722N) and a GPS card (Vk-172, u-blox 7 chip)
It could be more portable and, sure, it's not as sexy as a Pwnagotchi

Running archlinux-arm, with [s]kismet[/s] my own software called ssid-logger[1] and gpsd, I got better result than with WigleWifi on my phone mainly because of the antenna, I guess. But no bluetooth (yet ?) or celllular antenna detection.

It comes with me in my car now ;-)

[1]: You can have it there: https://github.com/solsticedhiver/ssid-logger
Last edited by zebul666 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nice!
I found this one on your twitter @wiglenet

https://twitter.com/wiglenet/status/122 ... 79072?s=20

Seems a rpi with a e-ink screen. I was hesitant to buy the BU-353-S4 because I read some bad report for it with linux (on gpsd device page ?)

Looks nicer than mine
We'll open-source that one if we ever get time to finish it.

hardware-wise, it's based on the "slim-a-gotchi" chassis from the pwnagotchi project
The Pandas card tunes fast without too much overhead in mon mode.

software-wise, we're using kismet and gpsd. We're working around the limitations of the pi Zero's lack of battery-backed clock by setting the time through a GPSD/NTP hack.

The only non-stock elements beyond that is disabling packet capture in kismet to conserve the pi Zero's limited processor power is a simple python script that interfaces with kismet and updates the eInk display, and hacks to start kismet on boot, make sure the wifi cards get consistent identifiers.
Revised, with a 90° angle micro usb cable, and a more flat power bank, packed with a small rope.

Yes, I am using that "hack" too, to update the clock from gpsd time data (I am using chrony because I couldn't make it work with ntpd).

But how do you disable packet capture with kismet ? I am using kismet git version (currently r9322.de4869a4)-1

The main issue is the gps taking a long time for a first fix on cold boot. Could take 10 minutes with a clear sky.
And kismet crashing randomly (why ? the git version is supposed to get a fix for gpdd)). And the wifi card messing up a bit, I don't know why.

It is just a script and a few configuration here and there. It's a very thin layer on top of a standard archlinux-arm.

When I power it up at home, it automatically connects to my wifi AP, and convert and uplaod the last kismet files.

I could make a repo of it, if anyone is interested...

...and I used some nail polish to dim the led as explained here: https://www.indilib.org/forum/general/2 ... -well.html
I did the same for the wifi card.
With the correct tool to open the card, it's easy.
But how do you disable packet capture with kismet ? I am using kismet git version (currently r9322.de4869a4)-1

Code: Select all

logtypes=gpsxml,netxml,nettxt
in your kismet config, if you're using old kismet!
that gps unit is getting on my nerve with that long TTFF. I think I will buy another one like the L80-39 module for rpi.
It just that it does not have a case. I will need to 3D print one

This project as supposed to use spare part but I keep on buying new one...

Postby m86 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:46 am

Using a GPS over the internal (3.3V, TTL) serial port has been my personal preference (and used in my RasPi stumbling rig). I never had any significant problems with TTFF with the MTK2 GPS used in my original rig (RPi1B) as well as the UBlox M8N module used in my upgraded rig (RPi3). Both modules conveniently fit within the plastic enclosures I used for the each RasPi.

Further useless information regarding my setup... I tried to keep wireless modules used on the device targeted to units with good performance per watt per my simple testing. I ended up using two ZyDAS ZD1211b based dongles (good general performance), a Ralink RT3070 dongle (low power, additional 2.4Ghz coverage), and an ALFA AWUS051NH (5GHz coverage). I epoxied the ALFA plastic mount to a GoPro suction cup mount and used Velcro tape to attach the dongles and associated cables to the sides and back of the ALFA mount. The mount is quite robust for my usage, relatively inconspicuous, and easy to attach / remove. It's not perfect (too much coverage seems to = partial dropouts with SD card thrashing), but it generally works well enough for me.
@m86
I bought a usb gps to be able to use it on other computer, if need be. But I am looking at other options, now that I will certainly buy a new gps.

I was using the new kismet version. Moreover, I was running the server on the rpi0... It's cpu usage was too high crashing quite often. I used it because one can not run kismet_cap_linux_wifi alone.

So I finally wrote what I wanted to use. A simple SSID logger, that does just that. Log SSID.

It's available here https://github.com/solsticedhiver/ssid-logger

It should be able to run on a rpi0 without problem.
The csv output is suitable to export to wigle.net

It needs some real live testing. I can't go out like I would have liked (because we are confined here)
Last edited by zebul666 on Mon May 25, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby d2k2 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:29 am

Hello,
the zero will struggle with kismet, the memory eats up fast...
about 3k devices is the limit, then you need to restart kismet on the zero.

My setup on a rpi3 with rtc, serial-gps, oled screen, bluetooth:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1916&p=10271#p10271
I didn't wanted to use a rpi3 but a spare rpi0. That's why I made my own software.

Kismet is great but it does way too many things if you want just to log ssid.

But we don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut
So I made a box for it. Well, I bought one, and drilled some holes (bad job, I didn't had the proper tools). And a new GPS usb mouse too. Now it looks like this

I didn't find the old logo of wigle to print on the top, so I opted for "the box"
Attachments
IMG_20210619_132949393.jpg
IMG_20210619_132949393.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 36689 times
IMG_20210619_132959957.jpg
IMG_20210619_132959957.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 36689 times
IMG_20210619_133419791.jpg
IMG_20210619_133419791.jpg (80.15 KiB) Viewed 36689 times
it looks fantastic!
Alright gang, this better be worth it :)
Attachments
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1156.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 36035 times
Looking good! You decided you could do without the realtime clock module? Ive been debating whether or not to add it to my new pi 4-based rig.

24 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”