Suggestion: NMEA support in the WiGLE CSV Format

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Right now, Wigle only accepts coordinates in the decimal format. Would it be possible to also support NMEA?
heh, this begs the question: on what architecture are you working where splitting the string into degrees and minutes, multiplying, and adding is prohibitive? ;)
Well, you're right, it turns out that converting between NMEA and decimal isn't that much of a problem... All I had to do was to get some help from someone who can code (unlike me) - so yeah, a stupid suggestion from my side. Next time I'll try adjusting the frontend first, not the backend haha
when we started WiGLE one of our very first patches to a related project was for dachb0den's excellent "dstumbler" to help compensate for the fact that certain GPSes were reporting NMEA sentence GPS coordinates in packed "sexigesimal" instead of decimal minutes! ([D]DDMMSSss instead of [D]DDMMmmm...) GPSd has saved us from having to do model-specific GPS patches to this day!
Thank you for bringing the word "sexigesimal" back into my consciousness! I don't think I've seen that used since my very early stumbling days when I was running a Compaq iPaq and had to do some Excel-formulationing to convert the output of whichever stumble-thing-app I was running to get a CSV that would parse properly on Wigle.net. Ah, those were the days, iPaq running Windows CE, serial cable adapter running from the iPaq to a Garmin handheld GPS (which is still in my truck somewhere)...
I experienced such immense envy of everyone doing ipaq stumbling - I had a crappy handspring for development and all my stumbling was done with a bulky laptop, PCMCIA card, pigtail, antenna, and USB GPS module that was SO SLOW to get a fix and unreliable.
Booya! WiFiFoFum 2.2.12 (c) 2007 on my Compaq iPaq, bluetooth paired to my Holux GPS, but sadly can't get WFFF to see the GPS signal, otherwise I'd be out stumbling for WEP APs this afternoon ;-)

https://twitter.com/pejacoby/status/140 ... 24/photo/1
that's amazing that it still works!
Managed to get the GPS sync'ed up, just had to poke a few settings to get everything happy again.

The main bummer is that in the last WiFi driver update for the device HP broke the channel reporting so everything comes back on channel '858512' in WFFF. I had a case open with support for nearly a year but couldn't convince them they should care about fixing the issue.

The LiON battery in this iPaq 111 has about 30 minutes of life after a full charge with WFFF running full-tilt, so not an optimal stumbling rig. Even so, it picks up nearly all the APs my other devices see!

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”