New user feedback / experience

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby gavindatums » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:19 am

I was looking into doing some data collection and analysis and I came across this app/database. It looked good initially. I signed up and was looking at the age of the datapoints and after a few clicks I was told I am out of queries for the day. I looked to see if I could download the databse and use it with my own computing resources but that is also not permitted. That is fair enough its your site. So what were my takeaways as a new user?
1. As a user I would just be contributing to your data collection with little rights to use yours in return. You seem more interested in selling data than being a community project?
2. The data is quite dated, probably because your site is generally quite restrictive and so most people are put off from contributing
3. The Q&A on this seems a bit hostile, like the admins are bored of running the site now

I only post this because you may be genuinely interested in growing the site and this feedback may be of value to you. You may not realise that your approach is driving people away. Good luck with your project in any case but I don't think its for me :)

Postby arkasha » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:58 am

Sorry you don't like it - by all means, please do go start the system that does it right!

Postby bobzilla » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:55 pm

From the FAQ: "if you have a non-commercial project you'd like increased access for, or if you are interested in using the data for commercial purposes, perhaps just send us email at WiGLE-admin[at]WiGLE.net"
https://wigle.net/faq
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”