Help with Pinpointing a particular SSID

Talk about whatever

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Someone in my neighborhood has an objectionable WiFi SSID. I got got started with wigle to try to figure out who.
But I'm really not any closer.

I've walked the neighborhood several times over the course of a week or two. Walking on the sidewalk farthest from my house, but wigle shows the SSID is on my property. (I'm sure it isn't.)

I read the FAQ and I get the impression I'd need to scan from my neighbor's backyards or something to get a more accurate position, but that's not possible. I can't go walking through their yards and there's no public access from the other side.

Will the positioning get better if I walk the same sidewalk repeatedly?
Does reducing the scanning interval and/or GPS interval in the app help? I set it to 50ms.

What else can I do?
Honestly, if you can only observe a point from along one line it will be hard to trilaterate a location. The strongest signal is often the closest, but absent measurements along another axis, you can't really get closer with a phone.
Using the website search and maps instead of just the app will give you everyone's best guess at it, but that only helps if people have seen it from other angles.

If you definitely want to take things too far, there are always:
1. drones - be sure to follow all applicable laws
2. directional antennas - just remember what you look like when you're using one.

-ark

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”