Email verification changes

The frontpage news bits

21 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby arkasha » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:48 am

Due to extensive abuse, we've had make changes, including switching to an email-verification model on registration. This isn't our preferred solution, recent events have made it necessary.

As always, if you have a specific use in mind, reach out to us, and please understand that the EULA applies to every user and exists entirely so that we can continue to make this project work.

Postby computerb0y » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:21 am

thanks for looking after Wigle for us :)

Postby lthompson38 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:59 pm

Verification email isn't being sent to mail so can't verify new account. Email entered correctly as password reset sent to correct email but not verification email.

Postby appaz8dm » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:36 pm

lthompson38 wrote:
> Verification email isn't being sent to mail so can't verify new account.
> Email entered correctly as password reset sent to correct email but not
> verification email.

Same issue here

Postby arkasha » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:59 pm

as disposable email providers get used in attempts to abuse the system, they'll cease to work for registration.

Postby mvdswaluw » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:15 am

Same here.

Postby JustJones » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:33 pm

I've been having real issues with search recently that I'm assuming have been due to the recent abuse. I'm not sure if that's because I made an account before email registration was required or not, but I tried making a new account with a gmail address and I haven't gotten a verification email.

Postby arkasha » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:42 am

as an aside (not a direct response):
registering multiple accounts is never the answer. it looks like abuse to our automation.

Postby Rene2305 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:28 pm

Verification emails are not being sent?

Postby arkasha » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm

they require a valid email address ;)

Postby harrisonmattr » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Hello,
Using valid, non-throwaway email and not receiving verification email. Password reset emails comes, so I’m sure I used the right address.

Postby vsa77 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:53 am

Who tf uses throwaway email accounts? This isn't r/confessions or the dating app you're hiding from your significant other.

By the way, I don't see it mentioned, is this something that ONLY affects new account registration, or are you sending verification emails to existing accounts as well?

Postby arkasha » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:08 pm

We're not currently requiring older accounts to verify. If the abuse attempts continue, we may revisit that decision, but if we do, we'll provide a clear path for verification.

Postby backendcli » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:10 am

id love to register, i think this is a cool spot and id like to support it. But i didnt see a field for email when i made the account.

Postby wiggler81 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 pm

can old accounts proactively verify? I dont want to lose my account or all the work.

Thank you,

21 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”