Time to move!

Wardrivers: find others in your area

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby seinman » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:20 am

Looks like i'm ready for a road trip.

Yup, i'm uprooting myself and moving to Illinois to attend school. I'll be moving into my dorm in downtown Chicago on September 18th. I grew up in the suburbs, but haven't lived in IL for four years. What's the wardriving scene like? I'm assuming it's a pretty well covered city, so I probably won't find very many new APs, but you never know. I have lots of friends in the suburbs (Palatine, Oak Forest, Frankfort) so i'll be able to drive a lot of those areas as well.

Postby ax0n » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:28 am

Well, you'll be close to the WiGLE crew! They're in the Windy City.

looks like chi-town proper has been beaten to death by stumblers just from looking at the web map. Do what I do, find someplace you go to (where you live, where you work, where you get groceries, etc) on the map. And look for city blocks around that which don't have anything filled in yet. Lots of stumblers just leave their gear up and running when doing routine tasks, so main roads are well covered. Go head first into a few "chunks" that are densely packed residential areas, or even "high end" homes that are not as dense. If northern Illinois is anything like eastern Kansas, you'll find anywhere from 50-500 in a residential city "chunk". Out here, city "chunks" are about a mile square, and are 8 number blocks square (example, 127th and 119th are main roads one mile apart, with mostly non-through residential sidestreets between them)

My record is 330 AP's in one chunk, 127th to 119th, between pflumm and blackbob in Olathe, KS. it's the middle highlighted block in this pic, and it will give you an idea of what to look for when wardriving your new turf. Best of luck!

Postby uhtu » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:33 am

oh yes. chicago is well stumbled and yet Every Time we go out: More APs!

we'll have to arrange some manner of Giant Chicago WiGLE Thingy.
oh yes. chicago is well stumbled and yet Every Time we go out: More APs!
Well that's good news!
we'll have to arrange some manner of Giant Chicago WiGLE Thingy.
I'm there. 8)

Postby mycroft » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:38 am

giant chicago wigle thingy? you mean the armada? hrm. this means I might have to leave my apartment...

Postby seinman » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Well I got all moved in, and I have to say, I LOVE the city. I'm heading out to the suburbs today to visit a friend, and i'm gonna have my laptop going the whole way. It's my first drive in Chicago, hopefully it'll be a good one.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:53 pm

I'm gonna go to the Chicago 2600 meeting on Friday. Does anyone else from the area frequent these meetings?

Postby bobzilla » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:51 am

Not so much, it leans in the direction of sysadmins, from what i've heard.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”